- More than 179-million Americans will be celebrating Halloween this year, which is eight million more than last year
- Halloween spending is estimated to be about $9.1-billion, up from $8.4-billion last year
- The top Halloween costume for kids is an action hero/superhero, while a witch is the top costume for adults
It's officially fall it’s time to start thinking about Halloween, and if you haven’t already, it seems we'll all be spending a lot of money on Halloween this year.
In case you missed it, according to a report by the National Retail Federation, more than 179-million Americans will be celebrating Halloween this year, which is eight million more than last year. And all those people will be shelling out a lot of dough, with Halloween spending estimated to be about $9.1-billion, up from $8.4-billion last year.
As for where that money will be spent, 95% of people will be buying Halloween candy, while 72% will purchase decorations, 69% will be buying costumes and 37% will be buying cards.
- Overall, 72% of folks plan to hand out candy this Halloween, while 49.2% will decorate, 48.2% will get dressed up in costume, 34.5% will host or attend a party, and 30.8% will go trick or treating.
- Of course, costumes are really the most important thing when it comes to Halloween, and that goes for both kids and adults. For children, not surprising, the top costume will be an action or superhero, while for adults, a witch will be the top costume of choice.
Top Ten Children’s Halloween Costumes
- Action Hero/Superhero
- Batman Character/ Princess
- Star Wars character
- Pirate/Marvel Superhero (not including Spider-Man)
- Disney Princess
- Wonder Woman
Top Ten Adult Halloween Costumes
- Batman Character
- Marvel Superhero
- DC Superhero (excl. Batman/Wonder Woman/Star Wars character)
- Slasher Movie Villain
- Wonder Woman